In a few hours I’m heading up to Northern California, which reminded me that my last post was exclusive to Obon festivities in the Southern California Shin network. Unlike most of Southern California, temples Northern California seem to schedule their events separately.
- Buddhist Temple of Alameda Bon Odori (July 24)
- Buddhist Church of San Francisco Bon Odori (
July 25August 1)
- Buddhist Church of Oakland Bon Odori (July 31)
- Palo Alto Buddhist Temple Obon Festival (July 31–August 1) & Bon Odori (August 7)
- San Mateo Buddhist Temple Bon Odori (August 7)
- Southern Alameda County Buddhist Church Bon Odori & Obon Festival (August 14)
- Buddhist Church of Sacramento Bazaar (August 14–15)
This weekend, you can catch Bon Odori at the Buddhist Temple of Alameda and the Buddhist Church of San Francisco. (If you’re in Southern California, you should check out the party at Higashi Honganji this weekend!) I’ll post more about Obon happenings elsewhere in North America after I get back.