There is a whole close-knit community thriving on debate and discussion of a diversity of issues almost daily. This community of course, is the buddhoblogosphere. Tackling similar issues as recent scholars such as race and racism, the dynamic between culture and religion, and the secularization of meditation teachings, among others. This community comments on online and print Buddhist media and is more and more moving toward incorporating ideas of recent scholarship. The buddhobogosphere is on the cutting edge of what is going on within Buddhism in the West, and they will have increasing importance for scholarship about contemporary Buddhism.
Brooke also provides a list of some general trends in this emerging scholarship.
- New Age vs. Hard Core Dhamma
- Mindfulness Meditation and the Secularization of Meditation
- Is Buddhism a religion? (Buddhism and religious identity)
- The dialogue of Buddhism and science/psychology
- Buddhism and youth
- Buddhism and pop-culture
- Buddhism and happiness
- Modern-day commentaries of traditional Buddhist teachings
- Prison Dharma
- Racially Diverse Buddhism