I started posting too late on Obon to mention the festivals out in the Eastern United States. And by “Eastern,” I’m talking about anything East of the Mississippi. Below are the dates of Obon festivals that have passed. I believe there was also an Obon festival at the Buddhist Temple of Chicago, but I couldn’t find the past date online.
- Ekoji Buddhist Temple, Virginia (July 10)
- Midwest Buddhist Temple, Illinois (July 10)
- New York Buddhist Church, New York (July 11)
- Seabrook Buddhist Temple, New Jersey (July 17)
- Cleveland Buddhist Temple, Ohio (July 24)
The past few posts on Obon have been a bit carried away over the dance and festivities. The other (and for many, the primary) side of Obon is that it’s a memorial occasion. If you happen to look up “Obon” on a local temple calendar, it’s probably a good idea to find out first whether you’ll be attending a party-like festival or a more somber memorial occasion.